Sunday, April 15, 2007

Going Scriptural: If Life Is So Short

Some Holy Week Holiness residue? Nah.. This was originally composed around Sept '06 and I found it on my personal folders when I was backing-up my documents before surrendering my laptop. I was thinking of a best time to post this. A year after would be late but yes, with some Jesus' death reflection and demise of a friends' relative..it's time. Here goes:

Just last week, I was looking for some nice notes to set in my messenger and I found this interesting text from the Scriptures:

"All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She´ol, the place to which you are going. " Ecc. 9:10

Little did I know that I will find this text very true in my previous days. Last Friday, I spent my 23rd day here on earth off from work not to enjoy and relax but to take care of other important things. Imagine, the night before that I was preparing for the 1st time in my entire life my itinerary on an ordinary day off. (How about that!!!!????)...

Too bad but that same day, I also learned that my uncle who's suffering from cancer passed away. So from a very busy Friday and Saturday in the business with barely 1 hr sleep per day, off we went to Bataan for the last wake before the burial on Monday.

I hardly remember the last time I was there. My bad I wasn't able to visit my uncle when he was still alive.. =( I was also not able to recognize anymore my 3 little sweet nieces Chelsea, Colleen and Claudette all of them were patterned from my name. They were aready all grown up and were very shy to approach their pretty tita at first but after making some bonding moments with them, they were all asking me already of the day when I'll return. (Aww!!!) Time also to cope up with the lives of my guy cousins there, almost all of which were already married. Also, some kulitan moments with them while playing cards. Time also for mama to show off and be proud of the achievements of her children ;-) to her relatives from Pampanga. The responsible eldest, the celebrity daughter (hahaha!!!) and the model youngest. Well atleast she did this coz it made me understand why she was sooooo mad at me for coming home late for the last 2 days. I sensed that she really wanted for us to go there earlier.

Anyway, as I was listening to the discourse my eye got fixed on the register beside the catafalque. I was analyzing the details and found out that my uncle didn't even reach the age of 60 which is supposed to be this month. Life is indeed so short, with so much things to do. The scene in my bed when I was writing my itinerary suddenly flashed back in my mind. Shortly, I heard the quote above being mentioned in the talk. Then it occurred to me what the speaker would like to emphasize. In this very short existence of ours here on Earth, we must make sure that we prioritize the most important things. There's time for everything as the Lawbook says.

And it stopped right there. I just found the next verse I was about to put. According to Ecclesiastes 3:1-5, "There is an appointed time, even a time for every affair under the heavens; a time for birth and a time to die;...a time to weep and a time to laugh;..".

The Scriptures in itself is self-explanatory. No matter how you see it, I just hope we don't end like what King Solomon mentioned in this last verse: "And I, even I turned toward all the works of mine that my hands had done and toward the hard work that I had worked hard to accomplish and look! everything was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing of advantage under the sun." Ecc. 2:11


No comments: