Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Beauty of Sakura

#traveltuesday


By now, the Cherry Blossom season has ended in Japan.  It starts at around early February in some parts of Japan but the entire season lasts only for about two weeks in most cities.  After enduring the bitter cold winter season, the pink blossoms indicate a relatively warmer weather, end of school for children and start of new calendar year for the working class.  Hence, a symbol of hope and renewal.  Popular tradition for this celebration is called hanami - a viewing phenomenon and picnic under the trees. :)

Though a sight of such beauty, one couldn't also help but wonder how such occurrence can be so short-lived. This is also the reason why aside from hope, the cherry blossom also symbolizes the ephemeral nature of life, an aspect of Japanese culture that is associated with Buddhism.  “The temporary nature of the sakura is a reminder that all living things soon pass and we should make the most of our lives while we can.”

At Osaka castle,




At Kyoto,



At Gion,


At Momodani 





It was my first time to see the cherry blossoms and it's really a pretty sight to behold.  I can still remember the spring in my steps when I first caught sight of them by the Osaka castle and how despite my exhaustion after 4-hrs of walking around Kyoto, I couldn't find myself sleeping during our pseudo-hanami with Brian (haha!).  I just wanted to bask in that utter beauty that surrounds me in that moment while biting off some chocolates. Hehe. =)

Back here in Manila, I'd often find myself looking for such beauty in some trees I can find in the city.  In some places I can spot trees with our local flowers such as bougainvilleas or plumerias and appreciate their beauty too. Then I asked myself "why don't we ever plant trees and flowers anymore here?"  If we do it might not be such as beautiful as the cherry blossom but whatever, God made them equally beautiful and designed them for man to take delight in them.  




No comments: